Thursday 5 January 2012

Writers' Forum Poetry Contest (December): Winning Entries

Winner: Naina Dey, Assistant Professor (Dept. of English) at Maharaja Manindra Chandra College, Kolkata under the University of Calcutta. She is a critic, translator, reviewer and creative writer and her works appear in esteemed newspapers, books and academic journals. She has authored books of critical essays on Shakespeare’s Macbeth and Christopher Marlowe’s Edward the Second. She regularly writes for The Statesman. She was awarded the “Excellence in World Poetry Award, 2009” by the International Poets Academy, Chennai. She was invited to be a member of a team of Indian writers (below 45) to be felicitated jointly by Sahitya Akademi and Visva-Bharati University on the occasion of the 150th birth centenary of Rabindranath Tagore in December, 2010. 


 
Shantipura

This is Shantipura.
Our quaint old Shantipura
With roads unpaved
An inconspicuous speck on your frayed maps

Our Shantipura of dim lights and long power cuts
Where the jackal’s howl mingles with the parrot’s long ti-ti-ti even at midday
Where you hear the rustle of bamboo leaves as you curl up beside your hearths
Like a baby in its mother’s womb

Our Shantipura wakes up to the crows’ call
We too wake up to the whiff of our mother’s steaming rice-pot
As milk-white Mangala fidgets impatiently in her shed
We skip down to the pool where the buffaloes bathe
Grey-black giant rocks that wallow in the sun while a heron balances itself
My little brother tries to catch tadpoles that stare blank-eyed among the reeds
With a shallow dish smuggled out
Eager to enjoy our weekend’s holiday to the hilt
Look how he at first impatiently then playfully flings the limpid water
Making it rise like a wave semi-circular
Droplets of wave sprinkling me as well
As I stand almost knee-deep
Anxious lest he falls

We scamper and shout all day long
Till we hear our mother call
The sunset resounds with the twitter of the sparrows
Bare-bodied shepherd boys whistle for the stray calf
As the shadows grow thicker and darker over our quaint old Shantipura.



 *****

Honourable Mention

Archana Kurup, an employee of Indian Overseas Bank. She is a bilingual writer who has won various prizes in creative writing for her essays, stories and poems in English and Hindi.

Silver Recollections

A spray of silver
Leaping in an arc
Sprinkling sunshine
In rainbow sparkles
Soaking the skin
Drenching the soul…..

Teasing the heart
Into remembering
An era long gone….
Buried under a heap
Of new memories
And experiences….

Struggling to surface
Evoking recollections
Of an age of innocence
Freedom and harmony…
An age of beauty
And joy in simple things….

A moment frozen in time
Still…. and fluid
Lost… but within reach
Happy…. tinged with sadness
In another lifetime….
Another existence…..

***** 

Rosemary Tom, I Year MA English
 
Airy Hope

The river sparkled then.
Trees stooped low in greeting.

Joyous, unadulterated creatures.

Delighting in all things.

Besprinkling arcs of happiness,

they trot, unceasing.

Powerless, yet powerful;

unaccountable to convention.

Owners of nothing, yet of everything-

Unabused trust, untarnished innocence.

Searching for this flowery meadow,

I walk, hoping to retrieve

In a world of stumps and blight,

unaware of having lost it on the way.

*****


Aishwarya Nair, III BA English Copy Editor 


Heading for the Hills



Droplets falling from heaven;
My thoughts are heading for the hills,
They have come to a halt at my childhood,
Oh, that's a sudden stop.

Woven by my brother, childhood was the prettiest time.

Butter-flying with him was my best loved pastime,
Hunting for new places always resulted in the same stamping ground.
But river always fascinated me with her cuddling ways,
She offered me her petals of water.

To make me happy, brother flipped little waves; springing as colored images.

Tiny sprinkles touched my innocent cheeks,
gave me a breezy essence,
Imprinted in my mind those sparkling drops,
forming the shape of a crescent.

My little skirt hugged the wavy rhythm of life,

Swaying like a flower which was thrown up by the breeze,
I grabbed his hands
and walked through the itinerary of happiness.

Mind and body suffused in the chillness of age,

I lost my sense somewhere between the pebbles.
Regaining it, I stood at the bank of memories,
Staring at the black and white memories flowing through the river,
I found that nothing was left.
Petrified by the years of grief, I dropped off my innocence
And merged with the rest,
Fleeing with time, those tiny waves waved goodbye to me forever... 



5 comments:

  1. congratulations to the winner,Naina Day and others also.
    i should express my sincere gratitude to SH college blog,especially Jose Varghese sir for choosing my poem too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an honour to have my poem on your blog. Thank you for your encouragement. It means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good work by you dear, a touching one....keep going....enjoy laurels reaching you which you definitely DESERVE.....Good luck dear

      Delete
  3. congratulations to all!!!
    worth understanding the 'pondering'
    great work by all......the silver recollections is really 'touching one'
    good luck to all......keep it up!!!
    ....padmanabhan h.....trivandrum, kerala, india

    ReplyDelete