Thursday 25 July 2013

A Poem In Two Parts

Abraham Varghese from 3rd Year BSc Mathematics thinks aloud on a socially relevant topic.


1

THE COMMON MAN

Bloodshed on the streets
weapons on rent,
corruption now painted
Saffron, White and Green!

“The whole state in turmoil,
why should I care?
I have my own problems,
I’m a common man!”

At day a pedestrian
at night a silent sleeper
immune to flattery and critics
skin made of callousness

“The money is mine,
so is the energy.
When words are used
to wound and kill,
I take to silence
Silence is my right!”

2
THE UNCOMMON MAN

“People, people everywhere
not a single one to help!
I am left all alone
to save this wounded soul.

Money enters to close the heart,
taking control of every part.
Also, power corrupts the mind
a person at peace, hard to find.

“All the corrupt must be condemned
so must those men with swords,
we strive to remove every blot
with our sweat blood and tears”

Silence only spawns more evil
empowering vice to dictate the terms,
instead protest, disobey and shout.
If one of them hears,
that's a start!"

3 comments: